Wed, Jul 28|
Ames Lake - Meet at the Beach
LILYPAD PULLING - VOLUNTEER EVENT
Time & Location
Jul 28, 2021, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM PDT
Ames Lake - Meet at the Beach, Beach, Ames Lake, WA, USA
About the event
Lake maintenance/lily pad removal event.
We’re ready to start up the lily-pad-picking parties again, and you are invited!
Last year we had great success clearing in front of Lot B and the outlet creek. If you use the beach, you might notice that there are hardly any fragrant water lilies left! The area around the outlet creek, however, needs more serious work. In general, it takes at least three years of consistent hand pulling to starve and eliminate the water lilies from an area, and we are just starting year two. Good news, though, each time we go out it gets easier!
The goal is to start centrally and move towards shore each week, reducing regrowth in a systematic pattern from deep to shallow areas. As we diminish and clear the deeper areas and move toward shore the effort will trade off from less dense larger area to more dense smaller areas. This will contain the spread from reaching levels that choke out the entire North end.
Four homeowners have requested assistance with this clearing adjacent to the shoreline. ALCC relies on volunteers to help with this effort along with clearing the outlet and in front of lots C, D and E.
Come make a positive impact on the community, get a great arm/core workout and enjoy meeting our neighbors as we work together..
Saturday mornings from 9-11AM
MEET AT THE BEACH!
- There will be drinks! And snacks!
- Remember to protect yourself from the sun (waterproof sunscreen and sun protection clothing and hats).
- If you have not been vaccinated please wear a mask and maintain social distance from other volunteers.
- Meet at the beach lot with your kayak, paddle board, canoe or any watercraft you have.
- WHAT TO BRING: Yourself and a kayak/paddle board/dinghy. A pair of scissors can be handy for the well-established lily pads, and lots of water to stay hydrated. Also bring a big bucket if you can. And water to stay hydrated.